Friday 20 January 2012

John Olsen - one of Australia's great icons

Some time ago John Olsen was featured in The Age, and the article made a lasting impression on me. I'd like to share this quote with those who missed it...


"One benefit of growing older," he says, is that I gained the confidence that I could learn from failure, so I never give up.  Investigating your failures enlarges your capacity to create.  I still have periods of failure and self-doubt that can go on for weeks, thrashing about trying to find the right way to proceed with paintings that refuse to sing my song....the buggers.  My failure rate is still 20 to one; I'll overpaint or throw out work 20 times before I'm happy with it.  But I start afresh each day, with an inner voice saying, 'Go on, go on', knowing I will eventually break through."

There is something very humbling about seeing such a revered Artist open his sketch books to share his unpolished notes.  It spurred me to research John Olsen further. To discover his love of poetry and regard for himself as an Explorer.  It reinforces ones desire to selectively seek inspiration, rather than fall victim to the numerous distractions of todays fast paced world.  Olsen believes that Art without passion, and without being absorbed by the physicality of it, is not Art.
It is not surprising then, that Olsen's paintings seem to pulsate with an encumbered energy of their own.


                                                               John Olsen  Five Bells

1 comment:

  1. i think it is John Olsen's birthday today!
    Great advice! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete